Warburton lies in an ancient landscape, on the boarder of East Cheshire and Trafford, Greater Manchester, in North West England. Today it is better known for the busy toll-bridge that crosses the now dry river bed of the Mersey, and its two parish churches. Warburton hides a rich landscape history with origins in the late prehistoric and Roman periods.
This book brings together 19 years of archaeological and historical investigation in Warburton. There are separate chapters on the development of the landscape and village, the archaeology and history of the old church (one of only 29 medieval timber churches and chapels in England and Wales), the buildings of the area, and a study of the people of the parish from 1600 to 1900 using the manorial and probate documents. Together this information provides a detailed record of a rural community on the edge of the great industrial and social changes of the post-medieval period.
For enquiries please email; SalfordArchaeology-UoS@salford.ac.uk.